Friday, February 29, 2008

POSSIBLE KIDNEY REJECTION

We were told late evening yesterday that Ron's creatinin has increased to 2.1...and that a biopsy may be needed on the kidney to confirm if there is any rejection setting in.

I finally had the doctors take a look at the echo that was done on Wed. because I wanted to make sure it was not the heart that was in rejection before they went in and disturbed the kidney. After a prolong period of time this morning I was given some answers to my questions. The echo on the heart looks fine....his ejection fraction is at 55% ...which is very good. There are some other issues going on with the heart that are far too complex for me to try and put to words for you. I will need someone to simplify it for me in the next few days and then I can try to explain...but at this time it is not serious and the doctors will continue to monitor with another echo on Monday and compare it to the echo that was done this week.

Given that Ron's creatinine is still at 2 today...we were advised it would be best to move forward with the biopsy so we gave consent this afternoon. He is having the biopsy now and should be done within the hour. The doctors are going to try to push pathology to give results tomorrow rather to put this off until Monday. I don't know what the treatment is if he is in rejection for the kidney. It could be the same as it is when the heart is in rejection...but the renal side of things is new territory for us ...so I am learning this process as we go along.

I will keep you informed as soon as I know more. Our hope is that he is just dehydrated which can also cause the creatinine to rise. They have decreased his Lasix by half...which I had been wanting them to do over two weeks ago...but they just decided it was time now.

Keep us in prayer....the longer we are here ...the harder it is to keep my patience in check with some of the doctors and staff here. I am in serious need of guidance from the Lord as to whether or not to keep Ron here at UMC or if I should begin speaking with people at Mayo in Scottsdaly and consider a possible transfer. I am torn at this point as to what I should do at this very moment. Or simply wait until he is discharged and then consider having doctors there begin to take over his case.

Rob did stand Ron up yesterday and had him take two steps and then pivot to sit in his recliner. He did this three times ...from the bed to the chair. He said it felt so good to be able to move....of course I missed it all....I was out running errands at the time. He had Rob take a picture while he was sitting in the chair so that I would believe him that it really did happen....LOL

I will update the blog later today.



1 comment:

luvgod2 said...

It looks like Rob and Ronn were doing the Tango! I'll be praying that his kidney isn't in rejection and that God gives you wisdom regarding possibly transferring him to Mayo. I know it can be difficult trying to figure out what will be best at times and making those decisions. I pray for peace for you as you choose what to do.