Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A DAY WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Ron was quite amazing today. After posting the morning blog I spent a lot of time talking to him and he was incredibly responsive to me today. I spoke to Thomas on the phone and asked if he wanted to say hello to his dad...he said yes...I put the phone next to Ron's ear and Thomas said "I love you dad"...and Ron opened his eyes and mouthed the words..." I love you, too". It was such a joy to see this happening. He recognized his baby's voice and understood what was going on.
A girlfriend of mine called...and said to tell him hello...I did while we were on the phone and he lifted his arm and waved ...his way of saying hello back to her. He just amazed me all day.
He had a lot of visitors today. His younger brother flew in from Iowa and my sister flew in from New York. Several cousins came in from Phoenix as did family friends...A few at a time would come in to see him and say hello...he would recognize voices and hold out his hand to everyone that came by his bedside. I knew it just made him so happy to hear and see everyone visiting today...I know it also made everyone feel so good to see him having such a good day as well. He would get so excited to see everyone he would literally try to lift his head to see who was at his bedside.
Tomorrow will be another challenging day for the family and myself.
They plan to do another esophageal echo and run the same test as before by weaning him off the heart/lung machine to see how the heart responds. Dr. Smith explained to me today that if the antirejection drug is going to work they should see something within 48 hours of administering. They started the drug yesterday.
She advised if they still do not see any heart function ...she will have to sit down with Dr. Copeland and hash out the possibility of putting in another cardio west device...the same artificial heart he was on before. She does not want to keep him on the ECMO machine very long as this device is not made for longterm use.
However, the question remains as to how much more Ron and his body can tolerate. And, if he is even able to withstand another surgery...and even if he does make it through the surgery...the problem still remains that his body just continues to reject the organs given to him. They would have to find a stellar match for him, cellular, as well as antibody, humeral ....everything....I don't know how realistic that can be. Dr. Smith is so determined to do whatever she can to save him....but I honestly believe at this point...it is truly up to God and Ron ....
I found myself to be more at peace today. I don't know if it was because Ron was so alert ...or because the Lord just came to me and brought the peace to me....maybe it was both.
My heart truly aches for Ron. He has been through so much for so long. He was so close to moving out of ICU. The doctors had already talked about transfering him to the step down unit on Monday. He was progressing so well ...I just don't understand. But in times when we don't understand are the times we must truly lean on the Lord because he is all knowning and trust in him completely.
All I can do right now is be there for Ron...when he is awake I am by his side assuring him that I am here for him and I am not going anywhere. I encourage him and reassure him as best I can.
He seems comfortable ..as best as anyone can be in his situation. I always ask him if he has pain and if he is OK. He lets me know with a nod all the time.
I pray for miracles now ...if that is what God feels is best for Ron.
Most importantly....prayer for strength and guidance for what is to come ahead.

"Be my rock of protection, a fortress where I will be safe. You are my rock and my fortress. For the honor of your name, lead me out of this danger."
Psalm 31: 2-3

No comments: