Friday, January 25, 2008

NO FINAL DECISIONS MADE

Well...it does not look like Ron will be leaving for a rehab facility any time soon.

The facility we had decided was the best place for him cannot accept him as a patient because of the chemotherapy drug he takes, Cytoxin. This drug has to be administered here by chemo certified nurses and the cups the pill is brought in has to be placed in a special bag to be disposed of properly. It is a big to do here. The rehab facility is not equipped to administer the drug...We initially advised them we would take care of administering the drug ourselves by just bringing our own prescription...but this is not the only issue. The other problem deals with bodily fluids ...if Ron were to get sick..via vomiting or other things...they would be exposed to the chemo drug in this manner as well...they are not certified to deal with any type of chemo exposure...I am learning that several facilities are like this...they are just not as equipped as larger hospitals are for this type of situation.

So, for now it leaves us in limbo. I have made several request given the situation...they simply need to make Ron a high priority with their physical therapist and with the cardiac rehab center here ASAP. I have had to get a bit aggressive in getting my point across in order to get things moving around here. A physical therapist did stop by for a little while today and helped Ron with some exercises to do in bed and while sitting.

Ron also sat in the recliner chair today. It was a bit scary getting him from the bed to the chair. I thought he was going to fall...his legs buckled and he was very near to the floor. It took two men ...a very tall ...strong female tech and myself to make sure we got him in the chair and not on the floor. I quickly went for his torso and put all the strength I had in me to make sure he did not fall.
Once settled he did a really good job exercising with the bike pedals. He worked them for about 10 minutes.
The physical therapist and two other male nursed helped get him back in bed...with direction from the physical therapist ...he was able to make sure the transition back to the bed was much smoother than getting him into the chair. He advised for now...we should just concentrate on sitting Ron on the edge of the bed and working on his leg lifts and balancing himself while he sits
up. It is too unsafe to have the nurses try to move him to the chair..they are not fully skilled enough in this area to be moving him in such manner.

I believe I made myself clear today to various doctors and team members what I expect going forward. I am expecting that Ron will be made a high priority going forward where physical therapy and cardiac rehab are concerned ...given everything he has been through...all the time and effort that was given to save his life...it is the least they can do to see that his recovery is a success to the very end.

I ask again for everyone to pray that Ron gets the care and service he needs to be rehabilitated as close to 100% as possible....

In Him.....

"But God is my helper. The Lord keeps me alive!" Psalm 54:4

No comments: