Wednesday, January 9, 2008

OH MY ACHING BACK

Ron struggled quite a bit with his lower back pain today. On top of everything else, Ron suffers from two herniated discs. With the amount of time he has had to spend in bed ...it has started to take it's toll. His nurse today is really staying on top of keeping him very comfortable alternating certain pain medication. He was just very uncomfortable yesterday. He had dialysis for three hours yesterday but they were only able to get a little over a liter off because his blood pressure would not cooperate. So, they are preping his machine now for another round of dialysis again today. The doctors have confirmed as of early this morning he will have surgery on Friday to repair his sternum. I do not know what time of day it will be scheduled for as of yet and we will not know how extensive the repair will be until the doctors get in to see exactly what they are dealing with. It is quite possible I may not find out the time this will take place until that day or possibly the evening before. He had a bout of nausea and vomiting last night....not quite sure where this came from ..fortunately it was short lived and they have started to give him something to remedy the nausea before it gets worse.
Because Ron has been in bed so long they have had to bring an outside vendor in to fit him for some special boots that he can wear while in bed.
This helps to correct and/or prevent what is known as "dropped foot"...very common in people who are immobile for a long period of time. His feet were also starting to turn in which could create a big problem when he needs to start walking again. The boots will help with all this until he can get stronger to walk. Once he is at the point of getting out of bed to walk and stand...he will then be fitted for special braces and shoes to use until he fully regains his strength. From the standpoint of rehabilitation ....Ron will have his work cut out for him....but I have no doubt he is going to succeed and persevere in this area....given the fight and the determination he has within....he will do very well. It is incredilbe the atrophy he has in his muscles from being in bed so long. I see bones on Ron's body I have never seen before...up along his shoulders and shoulder blades and along the shins of his legs....It amazes me how quickly the body weakens without exercise of any kind. He is still very weak. But, I am hopeful each week will show signs of strengthening and progress.
I continue to receive such wonderful responses from so many people extending their help in prayer ....I am in awe of the work the Lord is doing through so many. Ron and I talked about this yesterday and we both agreed we are so fortunate and so blessed by the God's grace in all of you.
I finally decided to go ahead and get a furnished apartment yesterday. I had been putting it off because our insurance does not cover lodging until Ron is discharged. But, given that so many apartments are booked until the end of March...I did not want to take the chance of not finding something once Ron was discharged. This place was truly brought to us by God. The leasing person I spoke to on Saturday was very touched by our situation and wanted to do whatever she could to help us out. She and another co-worker brainstormed and reviewed the units they had available and came up with a 2 br 2bth unit for us...fully furnished. They waived the security deposit for me and I only had to pay $40 for the application fee. They offered to put in brand new carpet and vinyle flooring for us knowing how important this was for a transplant patient. They made sure we had a downstairs unit for him. They will have the apartment ready for move in this Friday! Is that awesome or what!!?
When you given thanks to the Lord today...please given an extra thanks for Terry and Rhonda at Park Place Apartments. They are women with very big hearts!
I also received a call from Terry this morning to confirm the flooring was being done today and the cable guy would be there on Friday....they were also able to accomodate us with a king size bed in the master bedroom because they want to make sure Ron is extra comfortable when he gets out of the hospital. She also said it was a very good thing we signed everything yesterday because they just raised the price on the unit we are staying in by $700 dollars. Yet, again....God watching over us! The Lord never ceases to amaze me. He has shown himself time and time again .....I pray that everyone reading this will have an opportunity to experience HIS presence as we have ...there is no greater moment than this. He is never failing....he keeps his promises ....he showes his love in so many ways.
To those of you who have found inspiration through our journey ....I thank God. It was some time ago that I asked God to use me in such a way to glorify him ....and I now believe he is using me now through this experience to make him known to many who have not known him or have not experience his presence and his grace. I am living proof to you today that HE does exist! HE is real and our God truly reigns! Be faithful, believe ...call upon HIM..he wants you to....HE is waiting for you to draw him into your hearts ...let him amaze you as he has amazed me. I assure you once you allow this to happen in your life.....change will come and with that change will come a peace you can only experience with God's grace.


You are my God, and I will praise you! You are my God, and I will exalt you! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.
Psalm 118: 28-29

1 comment:

rickbnsa said...

Hey!

Just sneaking out of my hidey hole for a bit to let y'all know Sean and I are plugging for ya and wishing the best.

I've been promised travel buddies to Trumann so heal soon.

Rick