Friday, January 11, 2008

OFF TO SURGERY

Ron went into surgery at 1pm today. Surgery should run about an hour and a half. He seemed very calm going into surgery and felt well. He seemed to have a good night's sleep. The usual back pain was his only issue today.
I don't remember if I mentioned in my last blog that they had to open the incision where his kidney transplant was done. There was a small opening which showed signs of infection...so as not to let it spread...they had to open the area and clean it out. I had a chance to look at it with the doctors today ...they claim it looked better than yesterday. I guess I have to take their word for it ..since I did not see it yesterday. They will not close it back up because they want it to heal from the inside out. If they close it up ..it could cause furher infection to occur. My big concern is that Ron is diabetic and he is immunosuppressed. This can cause the healing process to take longer. There is the possibility that a wound vac may be used to help the healing process move along faster. We will need to wait and see what they decide.

I have just been informed by his nurse that he is out of surgery and has been removed from the ventilator. He should be back in his room within the hour. All went well. They did not have to completely rewire the sternum...the damage was not as bad as they anticipated it to be. They did have to remove some dead tissue ...but were able to close the area up well and restaple things. They ran another echo on his while he was down their ...his function is not as high as it was a few days ago. It is running more in the 40-50 range right now. But, we will be hopeful that it will come back up again. They did do the cardioversion on him and were able to bring his heart back to a normal sinus rythm. All positive news to me.



Thanks again for all the good ...good thoughts and the prayers

2 comments:

beBOLDjen said...

So glad to hear things are positive and Ron is plugging along. Im asking our Father to bring his heart function back up to what it was and for the infected site to clear up quickly.

Blessings and Peace,

Jen

luvgod2 said...

I'm glad the surgery went well! I'm lifting you all up in prayer for God's amazing favor to be on you. The apartment news was wonderful to hear. I'm sure that is such a help for you to have a place to call "home" through Ron's stay in the hospital.
In Him,
Kim